Rachael's Mission

Mexico Torreon Mission October 2015 - April 2017

Rachael's Picture

Rachael's Picture

Sunday, December 13, 2015

Week 9

Hermana Lutze,

Time is really speeding up for me... I don't know about you but I can't believe you've already been out for over two months. Wow! We got a good laugh out of your letter last week. Of course, you're the only American sister missionary in your mission. That's the way we Lutzes do things! I'm glad to hear that the language is improving and that you are working on your patience with yourself. In Argentina, they also kiss each other on the cheeks and I really felt out of place when I returned home. I felt like Americans were very cold after living in Argentina for so long. We would also clap at the doors instead of knocking. What do you do there?

I also remember washing our clothes by hand in some areas. It takes a lot of time. We eventually had a member that we paid and she did our wash for us. :) How's your companion? Where's she from? How's the food? Do you eat at members' homes or do you make all of your own food?

Life here is the usual pre-Christmas busy! All the decorations are up. I'm loving my Liz Lemon Swindle pictures that I bought for the tree. (I'm sure you remember carrying the box around.) They've really helped me focus on Christ this Christmas season. The presents are all wrapped and under the tree. We are sending you a package that I hope will be to you early next week. Please be looking for it. :) I went to two Ward RS dinners this week. Other than that it's just work and getting everyone to their activities. Dad and I did go see a movie Friday night-Bridge of Spies. It was really good.

Having you out on your mission has really made me think about my mission, to the point that I pulled out my journals to put all those memories back in my head. I've been reading about my time in the MTC and read what my goals were when I left and I thought I would share them with you. I was wondering if you had some similar goals for your mission.

  • Have charity towards all men
  • Do not judge rashly
  • Meaningful prayers and really listen for an answer
  • Bold in my thoughts and actions
  • Endure to the end

My favorite MTC teacher, Hermana Fisher, gave us the following 8 suggestions (OK there are more than 8. It's more like 8 paragraphs. :)) before we left:

  • Be patient with the mission. You have to learn everything little by little. Study the language and scriptures daily. Remember your part is to learn, to have faith, and to go out. 
  • Be prepared to sacrifice. Don't ever think it will be easy. Keep your mind on your goals and you can do anything the Lord asks. We can't imagine the sacrifices he will ask. I must remember my temple covenants everyday . I promised the Lord that I would sacrifice. Sacrifice is a way that the Lord tests our obedience We need to sacrifice our whole soul. We are obedient to the commandments through sacrifice. There are different forms of sacrifice. We must be diligent to the end. He forgives all of our sins through sacrifice. D&C 132:36-37, 50 Through sacrifice we feel good and fulfilled. We receive many blessings after sacrifice. We need to be willing everyday in all ways to sacrifice and through his help we can do it all. D&C 97:8-9
  • Enjoy every moment as you have it. Don't ever think of life behind you or your life ahead because when the moment is gone it's gone. You can achieve anything in this world as long as you don't care who gets the credit. Be careful with your time because it goes quickly
  • Learn to love your companion. It doesn't matter if she is different or not. Find things about them to love and SHOW IT! We've really missed something if we don't love our companions. We need to forget the bad and compliment them. At least give them credit for being there. We already have the common ground of the gospel. I must make myself the type of companion that I would want.
  • Love everyone else with all of your heart. The more you love them today, the more you'll love them tomorrow. 
  • Work until the very last day with all of your heart, might, mind, and strength. so you can go home feeling good. 
  • Remember trials only last a moment. (In rereading my journal I've realized that you don't remember them. They are overcome by the good things.)
  • Have a good attitude. If you don't feel like doing or saying the right thing then do it anyway and you'll feel it later. 
Emily's class was good as usual. We're in Judges right now. I've listed below a few take-aways for me.

Judges 3 Faith is never a thing of the past. You must work at it constantly! In Judges we see the children of Israel in the constant cycle of apostasy > bondage > repentance > deliverance. Sounds like the people from the Book of Mormon as well. :) 

We must always be the generation that stands strong. We are the link from the previous generation and to the generation that will follow you. Judges 2:2-3 and 10. The Church is always one generation away from extinction. That will never happen collectively but it does happen individually. Look at Grandma and her siblings. The difference in their lives, their children's lives, and their grandchildren's lives based on the path they each chose to take.

Often our journey is to go with someone-meaning we are there to just love and support them while the Lord does His work with them. Deborah did this in Judges 4: 4-9. Think of someone in your life that you've been asked to "go with."

I love you and I'm grateful for you and your strength!

Love,

Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment