Rachael's Mission

Mexico Torreon Mission October 2015 - April 2017

Rachael's Picture

Rachael's Picture

Sunday, October 25, 2015

Week 2

Hermana Lutze,

We love hearing about your time in the MTC. I'm so glad you had such a great experience in the temple. I enjoyed reading about the uniqueness of this particular temple. I hope you will be able to go again. Are you allowed to go every week or on certain weeks? Thank goodness it is the Spirit that teaches. I know your exact feelings when it comes to teaching in a different language and the Spirit will convey your feelings even if your Spanish language isn't perfect yet. :) It sounds like you are progressing in that area if your instructor is wanting to put you in the advanced class. I'm glad you can see that it isn't always about your learning needs but also the needs of those around you. I know that is why I was a 'mami' twice and to the particular sisters that I was given to train. I'm so glad you are in such a great district. These are new friends that can be your life long friends. It's important to have moments of laughter like the beans and moments of refreshment like running around. We had many great laughs in the MTC to help us through the many long hours of hard yet rewarding work. I'm so happy to hear that you are singing. You have an amazing voice and I hope you'll use it on your mission to bless those around you. I can't wait to hear about your duet with Hermana Robertson. I loved what you shared at the end of your e-mail about becoming and not being perfect. I'm reminded again of what Sister Brown told you in the temple about the word perfect not ever being used in the temple but the word faithful is used all the time. The Lord expects us to be faithful-faithful in our covenants, faithful in our scripture study, prayer, faithful in our relationships to others but He does not expect us to be perfect and provided the Atonement for us.

I was set apart on Tuesday for my new calling and given a beautiful blessing by President Christofferson. Much of what he told me was also mentioned years ago in my patriarchal blessing. President Lyman told us after we were set apart that very thing and encouraged us to look at our patriarchal blessings. Wow! I felt prompted this week to add the Cunninghams to my list of those I was taking banana bread to and I'm glad I listened. After we had talked for a few minutes, she cried and told me I had made her day. She had knee surgery at the beginning of October which no one knew and I think she was feeling lonely and unloved. As you learn to listen to the spirit on your mission, you will find great joy in knowing that you listened and that you were doing, saying, or in the right place at the right time. Record those experiences Rachael! Emily's class was incredible and always will be. She's such a gifted teacher. I've attached the handouts she gave on symbolism in the scriptures and the notes I took on the Ancient Temple. Rachael there's so much symbolism in the Ancient Temple that is in our modern temples today. Look for it! :) Another thought I wanted to share with you was our study of Ephesians 6 this week for Gospel Doctrine. Take time to study this section and know what it means to have the entire armor of God on at all times and in all things and in all places.

v.10 ... be strong in the Lord... in the power of His might (not your own might)
v.11 put on the WHOLE armour of God (not some of it)
v.12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
v.13 having DONE ALL, to stand
v.14 STAND (I believe he mentions truth first because that is the foundation for all else. We must have a foundation of truth.)
v.15 feet in the gospel of peace (This is how we must preach the gospel in peace and what we preach is truth)
v.16 ABOVE ALL, taking the shield of faith (Faith is the most important weapon)
v.17 be worthy always of the sword of the Spirit
v.18 Praying always  

The kids are all involved in their usual activities-nothing really new. Marissa is coming out not next weekend but the following to stay just Friday night. Jakob enjoyed his BYU Pow Wow on Saturday and the girls actually went to Halloween parties. :) Dad and I had door duty until the candy ran out around 8:30. We love you and hope you had a great birthday! Did you get the birthday letter and the donuts? I'm so grateful you're serving a mission and standing for truth and righteousness.

Love,

Mom

P.S. Have you been getting Kyle's letters? Austin's? Work also paid out all your PTO to the tune of almost $700 so I paid tithing on that as well for you. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment