Rachael's Mission

Mexico Torreon Mission October 2015 - April 2017

Rachael's Picture

Rachael's Picture

Sunday, November 1, 2015

Week 3

Hermana Lutze,

I hope this letter finds you well and happy! Speaking of happy I want to be the first to wish you Happy Birthday!!!! I hope you have a great day on Saturday. I actually celebrated a birthday in the MTC! :) We loved your letter! 

I'm glad to hear you have a fantastic companion and roommates! They seriously make all the difference. I'm also happy to hear that you have a great district! I'm sure your Spanish is coming along nicely with all the experience teaching, giving talks, etc. What better way than baptism by fire? I'm so glad you've learned the one thing you mentioned-relying on the Lord. When we do everything in our power and leave the rest to Him it all works out in the end! (See below)

I've had an interesting week. I received a call from Rob Murphy Wednesday to meet with a member of the Stake Presidency. You know what that means-a new calling. I was sustained today as the 1st counselor in the Stake RS Presidency with Lorrie as the President still and Denise Mott (Tricia's friend) as the second counselor. I'm excited for the new experiences with this Presidency. Michelle Treadwell from the 28th ward is the secretary.

I've thought a lot about the Atonement this week. In Emily's class we were talking about the manna that the Lord provided for the children of Israel. They were only to gather what was needed for the day and double on the day before the Sabbath. The thought came to me that this is like the Atonement in our lives. We must use it daily to cleanse, heal, restore, identify, strengthen, and transform us. When we use the Atonement daily it is just enough-not too much and not too little just like the manna was for the children of Israel. Then I had the strongest impressions in the temple on Friday that we need to reach the sisters with a message about the Atonement and I was reminded of what Sister Brown said to you in the temple. We hear the word faithfulness in the temple not perfection. Likewise, we are women of faith-faith in the Atonement of Jesus Christ, not women of perfection. And then President Lyman spoke about grace in Stake Conference today and that the Atonement should allow us to lift up our heads, have joy and be hopeful. The Atonement has 3 associated words-Passover meaning the destroying angel will Passover each of us, Covered meaning like Adam and Eve when they were covered with animal skins, we likewise are covered by Christ when we feel alone, inadequate, abused, hurt, defenseless, abandoned, and the last word embraced meaning that we are encircled eternally in the arms of His love. The Atonement overcomes physical death, spiritual death, and weakness of every kind. It strengthens us and that is what is strengthening you at this time. The final effect of applying His grace or Atonement in our lives is our own personal transformation. This takes years, right? In patience possess ye your souls... All of this reminded me of listening to Anthony Sweat teach on Grace or the Atonement of Christ. He used the letters in the word CHRIST to talk of some of the powers we receive through the Atonement-cleansing, healing, restoring, identifying, strengthening, and transforming powers.

Other highlights of the week

Hannah - took the ACT for the final time. We're praying she was able to improve her score. We went up AF Canyon to take her Senior pics Saturday. She, of course, looked so cute! I'll have to send you a few pictures when I get them.

Natalie - Started organ and guitar lessons and she loves them!!!

Jakob - finished flag football and went on a campout with the Scouts. He earned his shotgun MB. He's following in his older sister's footsteps. He shot 8 of 12- 75% accuracy. I seem to remember you being great at skeet shooting when we were in Idaho. :)

I saw this quote this week on FB and loved it!

"The only way to get through life is to laugh your way through it. You either have to laugh or cry. I prefer to laugh. Crying gives me a headache."  Marjorie Pay Hinckley

I love you!

Love, 

Mom

P.S. Did you pay tithing on a small check of 142.20? I think it was the last week you worked. If not I will pay it, so let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment